I have been thinking about this post for some time now, and every time I sit down to type it, I experience some writer's block! I think the problem is that I have a hard time finding adjectives for my oldest son, Ben. He is almost beyond words, but he's also so wholesome and good that it seems like this should be easy. I remember when Ben was a toddler. He was so conflicted if Jason and I weren't in the same room together. He didn't know which one to gravitate towards, so he'd just float between the two of us, whining and unhappy until he could convince us to all be in the same room. He hasn't changed much since then. Ben loves family time. He feels comfort when at least one of us is in the room with him. He's fine playing on his own, and doing his own thing, he just needs to know that we're there.
Ben started Kindergarten this year. He loves his teacher, his class, and a girl named Jenny. He's told us that he's going to marry her. He hasn't told her yet. One of Jenny's friends asked Ben the other day if Ben "cared for Jenny". Ben just stared at her friend. I asked him why he didn't just tell her. He said that if anyone finds out, he'll be teased.
Ben came up to me a couple of weeks ago and said, "Mom, no one talks about Jesus at school. Why don't they talk about Jesus? We say the pledge of allegiance, do our work, and play, but we don't talk about Jesus. Sometimes during rest time, I pray." My heart just broke. Ben went to an amazing Christian preschool and Christmastime was spent talking about Jesus' birth and Mary and Joseph. In Ben's school they are making little replica's of Santa, and talking about reindeer and presents. He noticed the difference. We don't put much emphasis on Santa. I'm not even sure Andrew knows who he is. I am so thankful that Ben noticed. It was a great opportunity to talk about how Jesus goes everywhere with us. He's with you at church and at home, but he also goes to school with us. We can tell other people about him, and we can pray whenever and wherever we like. It makes me all the more thankful for the wonderful teachers he has at church. Each one of them is making an impact on his walk with Christ.
Ben wants to be a policeman and a fireman when he grows up. He wants to help people and keep them safe. His best friends at school are both boys and girls. He has one best friend, but he plays with everyone because "everyone is my friend".
I love that Ben is getting old enough that you can see his genetic makeup in his personality. He is physically built like Jason. But he is emotionally built like me! When Ben gets emotionally upset, it is almost impossible to calm him down. He has a hard time listening to reason and refocusing. He's learning that some things aren't fair, and that is an injustice to him!
Ben was born a natural vegetarian. The only chicken he likes are chicken nuggets. He won't eat sausage or bacon. He'll eat hamburger...sometimes. We had to beg him to eat meatloaf the other night. Once he tried it, he loved it, but it took 10 minutes to get him to try it! He loves fruit and vegetables, cheeses and yogurt. And yet he manages to grow just fine!

We have a neighbor girl that we carpool with everyday. She's a sweet little girl and, for the most part, Ben and "R" play well together in the van on the way home. They like to "make" things together. It's always food! They will make muffins, or ice cream sundaes, etc. We had pulled onto our street when "R" asked Ben something. I didn't hear all of it just the word "marry". Ben turned to her and said, "But I don't want to marry you." She asked, "Well, why not?" And Ben said, "Because I just don't." (He's already betrothed!) So she quipped back, "Well then, you're FIRED!" (From cooking with her). He said, "You can't fire me! I'll fire you first!" Ah, young love. When I told her mom about their conversation she said, "Yeah, she's been downsizing a lot lately!" This carpool has been so enlightening and entertaining!
Well, there is my oldest son for you! I hope you enjoyed hearing all about Ben!

2 comments:
Loved reading this. He looks so much older now...
I'm glad you'll have a daughter in law one day. Zachary wants nothing to do with girls and I think he thinks their weird.
Sam had the same issue at school during Christmastime. His teacher assigned the class a "write a letter to Santa" project. He said he asked the teacher for a private conference and told her that in our family, Christmas is not about Santa, it's about Jesus, and he didn't feel right about writing that letter. She was very understanding and suggested he write to his parents instead. So, he wrote us a letter and drew a picture of Jesus on the next page. I cried. I was so thankful that my 7 year old is already standing up for Jesus.
Post a Comment