That is what Jason told me as I started to tear up when we dropped Ben off at Kindergarten yesterday. I can't argue with the man's logic, but it also made me smile, which made me forget to cry, which means I feel incomplete since I haven't cried over my baby starting school. I can't seem to muster up the tears now, and I feel a little robbed of my motherly right and duty.
Ben's first day went off without a hitch. He came into our room and proudly announced that today was his first day of Kindergarten! Then he said, "I'm so excited, I want to jump on your bed." Thankfully he let me get out of bed first!
We were one of the last ones to walk in to his classroom, because some mother had to get a billion shots of her son in front of the house, in front of the lockers, in the classroom etc, which made them only 4 minutes early instead of whatever time these other kids showed up.
When we walked into that classroom and 28 little heads turned in our direction and stared us down I almost bolted. I was notorious for having bad first day experiences as a child and the part I hated the most was walking into the classroom and everyone staring at me. It was like I was in 5th grade again and being laughed at for looking like a boy in a skirt. (Thanks again for the beauty school haircut, mom. I'll remember it for forever!)
Ben looked so grown up with his orange backpack and new school clothes. When I picked him up from school I asked how his day was and he said it was a lot of fun! I asked if he met any other boys, and he said that no one talked to each other today. I asked who he sat next to at lunch and he said, "I don't know her name." I said, "Oh, so you sat by a girl?" and he looked at me and said, "No, I sat by two boys." Duh. Apparently boys don't start asking if they can make armpit farts and exchanging names until week 2. I should have known.
I hope you enjoy the pictures, and if you have kids, I hope their first day is awesome too!

1 comment:
Great update on Ben's first day at school. I enjoyed your thoughts on it as well. As a teacher who had many 'first days' I remember bright eyes eager to see what was going to happy next, reluctant parents not sure of this whole experience....a few tears along the way.....that took about a day!!Ha! Then the fun learning began. I truly loved teaching.
Post a Comment