Ben starts Kindergarten on Wednesday, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. We've bought all of his school supplies and met his teacher and I have self diagnosed myself with a new kind of anxiety induced OCD.
I've known for a long time that my mind does not work like everyone else's. (Don't bother commenting on this post to tell me that either, I already know!) Around August 1st Ben's school came out with his school supply list. Round edge scissors, check, Germ X, check, Magic Markers, check, Eight glue sticks, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check.... Let's stop here.
Can anyone see a viable reason for EIGHT glue sticks. What exactly are we gluing? A, to scale, replica of the Chrysler building in popscicle sticks and construction paper?! Or are we planning on kids eating some of this glue? If I'm positive my kid doesn't eat glue, can I just buy four?
Anyways, as I'm cruising through my list and the bins, I stop short at 4 - 8 count boxes of crayons. There are 16 count boxes, 24 count boxes and boxes with so many colors in them that half of them probably aren't real colors. Like six different shades of black or something. I think that's totally weird that they have no 8 count boxes. My mission has now turned into a quest. In the next two weeks I go to 6 different stores. Some of them in different cities, some in different STATES. Apparently I have a better chance of seeing Big Foot than I do finding an 8 count box of crayons. I made multiple trips to Walmart, once after the store's usual restock day, and still no crayons. Finally I broke down and bought 4 boxes of 24 count crayons (by this time all the 16 count boxes had been sold) and just pulled out the 8 primarily used colors. I should have just done that in the first place, but I was too afraid to deviate from "the list".
Did I mention that I was diagnosed with an ulcer last week?!
Last night we went to "Meet the Teacher" night at Ben's school. Ben's teacher was really nice and friendly. She took one look at Andrew and asked if he was her student. I had to kindly tell her that that was my two year old. She looked at Ben and her eyes got wide and she said, "Oh my goodness." I might have to start carrying his birth certificate around because I felt very defensive and had to bite back my retort of, "I swear he's five". At least we know he won't be picked last in gym.
If you think about us tomorrow, please say a little prayer for us. I'm not sure if I'll be weepy tomorrow, but it will definitely be different!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Stephanie~ You are so funny! that is hysterical that she thought Andrew was the student. I had a few days of panic last year before zachary started kindergarten because there was no ruler on the supply list. i thought "what kind of education will my son be getting if he doesn't have to learn to use a ruler" :)
i will be thinking of you tomorrow!
Post a Comment