Friday, December 19, 2008

Mission Accomplished

This month has been CRAZY! Thanksgiving seems like it was a year ago! When I started this week, I hadn't even started my Christmas shopping. You know those people who finish their Christmas shopping list in July? That's NOT me! I can't even complete my grocery list every week! So, I hatched a plan. Jason had four days of vacation left for the year, and his company's "use it or lose it" plan inspired us into motion! Jason decided to take Monday off, and Friday off. The story is actually better if we start from the weekend before...

Saturday morning we woke up running! Jason and Ben went to get the oil changed in the car and pick up breakfast while Andrew and I got up and around. Ben and I ate, and then ran out the door for Christmas cantata rehearsal. As he sang his little heart out in the sanctuary, I started cleaning. (We're on a cleaning rotation at the church). As I'm scrubbing a toilet, I couldn't help but think of 10 other places I'd rather be. We'll talk about the jewels in my crown later! :) Anyways, after he finished he got to watch me vacuum for awhile. Lucky boy! It's mother and son bonding at it's best. We ran home, and after we ate lunch, I started making a few batches of cake balls. Ben had a birthday party to go to that afternoon, so we ran out of the house again to go to this party. As I'm walking into the local Putt n Jump, I realize that the place is packed! When I finally get to the counter and inquire about which room the party is in, the lady looks at me and says, "We don't have a party under that name today." I flash her my invitation and she looks at it for two seconds and says, "This party is tomorrow." Do you have any idea how awful it was to pull Ben out of that inflatable jump building? He got all upset and was whining, "But I want to see Chayse! Why can't I go to his party?" while I'm hissing, "It's tomorrow!" under my breath. Next time I'll read the invitation better! Anyways, back at home I worked on the cake balls some more before my first Bailey Foundation event as "wait staff". I got to pour egg nog for more than minimum wage. I'm not complaining. Afterwards I crawled back home and finished the cake balls. It was a long day.

Sunday wasn't much better. We got to church early for the Children's production, which was totally awesome! Ben did great, we were very proud! Actually all the kids did great. I think they must have all had their Wheaties for breakfast. After church our family split ways. Jason and Ben stayed home for lunch and then went to Chayse's birthday party, while Andrew and I went to the farm for my mom and brother's birthday lunch. I was so worn out by then. It was pretty cool walking around the farm with Andrew. I watched in proud wonder as he fed one of mom's miniature horses out of his hand. He's such a good kid. We got home in time for Andrew to take a late nap. I, personally, stared at the wall and drooled. I was too tired to do anything else. I seriously thought about starting my Christmas shopping, but I wasn't in the mood. Sunday was a totally gorgeous day. It was in the seventies and it was so pleasant until late afternoon when all of a sudden it felt like someone opened a freezer door. The wind just dropped 20 degrees all of a sudden. That night we got freezing ice. It looked like Dip'n Dots falling out of the sky. The boys had gone to bed early when it happened, and Jason turned into his eight year old counterpart and said, "Wanna go outside?!" So, I humored him, and we ran around the backyard throwing ice pellets at each other. It was almost like a second honeymoom!

Monday morning arrived (a.k.a Shopping day). The idea was to get it all done in one swoop. One look outside dashed all those dreams. With 1-2 inches of ice on the ground, school was cancelled, we were homebound. Have you ever had one of those days where you've been anticipating something so much that you're breathing it, and all of a sudden here comes a wrench and it ruins all your plans (and not for the better) and you just feel like crying? I was at that place by lunchtime. Isn't it funny how procrastination likes to take cheap shots? Needless to say, it was a long day.

Tuesday wasn't much better. The boys and I did make it outside though. Andrew's new favorite word is "ice". I have a lovely story about that afternoon, but I'll save it, as this post is getting rather lengthy. Let's just say that I didn't feel right the rest of the day.

Wednesday still wasn't better. Church was cancelled. The boys were acting like they were raised in caves by monkeys. It was nuts. We did paint some trains for the Christmas tree though. That was lots of fun. I'm sure I have photos somewhere! By Wednesday night I vowed that we would go to play date tomorrow. Whether it took three hours to get there, and we were the only ones to show up, it didn't matter, we were going. When Jason got home that night and declared the roads "driveable", something stirred. The boys were jumping up and down on my last nerve, and I really hated to do it but..."I'M LEAVING TO GO SHOPPING!" And I ran out the door. Four hours later, I felt like a human again. With most of my list done, and my bones aching with exhaustion I had the glow of accomplishment on my face. Finally, I could breathe.

Thursday had promise. When I had gotten home from shopping the night before I asked Jason how his night went. He said that it actually went well. He said that the boys have a new favorite toy. I was curious what new toy this could be. Diaper boxes. The boys both played with diaper boxes that night. Jason said that it really was a lot of fun and that they had a blast pushing them around with their stuffed dogs inside. I couldn't really get a good picture of that in my mind's eye, but I took him at his word. Thursday morning Andrew got out of bed and went straight for his box. He grabbed it by the handle, dragged it over to me and said "poppy". I pulled his puppy out of the crib, handed it to him and watched him put the puppy in the box, and push the box around the living room like a shopping cart. Ben put his dog in one too, and they ran laps around the couch with their dogs in boxes. I called Jason while I watched them. "It's like kid catnip. It's crazy how much they are loving this," I said. He laughed and said, "I know."

I still had my vow to get out of the house with the boys, and we did. The boys had a great time at McDonald's. It was so nice to carry on adult conversation and see my kids smile. It was such a nice day.

Jason took today off too. Ben finally got to go back to school, and I finished my shopping. Andrew, Jason and I had a nice lunch together before we picked up Ben. He was so excited to see all of us at his school. I took Andrew home for a nap, while Jason took Ben to the bowling alley. He came back almost two hours later looking for quarters. Ben so badly wanted to play some video games before the left, and was so devastated on the ride home that Jason came home, grabbed a roll of quarters and left again! They went back and played for another hour! What a good dad!

Well, I hope you had a nice week! And I really hope you have a great weekend! I'll fill in the holes next time!

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Glad the week turned out well and you made the most of the weather! Playing in the snow/ice sounds fun! Still want the info on those cake balls!