Wednesday, February 4, 2009

If it's fractured and you know it, clap your hands!

Well, it's official, Ben broke his toe. Yesterday he was moving the bench to the sink and it fell on his left foot, on the big toe. He screamed like the dickens for like two hours. His nail has turned purple, and it's likely it will fall off. (Yuck.) It might take a few weeks to actually fall off though. (Insert dry heave.)

I find it very uncanny that I'm totally in uncharted waters here. When he got three stitches at 15 months I about died, because I've never had stitches before, and here my son is, permanently scarred. Then he breaks a bone, and I've never had so much as a sprain, let alone a broken bone. I have no idea what these two things feel like, or have any idea of what doctors might do to make it better. Ben kept asking if he'd get a shot today. I kept saying "no", but I managed to dodge the part where he tried to make me promise, because I honestly didn't know.

Anyways, the bench hit right on the nail bed, and the bone broke up instead of across. So, we'll be seeing an orthopedic doctor tomorrow and see about a "hard shoe." Is that code for cast or boot? It won't heal right until it lays flat. That's basically all I retained of that conversation. I really stopped listening when she said the nail might fall off.




2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I'm so sorry for him! (and for you!). Never broken a bone either so I don't know what to expect. Good luck and keep us posted on the blog!

Angela said...

Well, just to forewarn you if they do have to set it, you're going to have to hold him down. I broke my ankle riding my 4-wheeler when I was 14. It hurt so bad, but worse than the break was when the doctor set the bone. Makes me cringe just thinking about it!