Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Funny Kids

I've got some funny kids! Here's an update on the funny things they do to keep their mom and dad laughing!

We were at church one night-to set up small groups-and we were fellowshipping, that's a word, right?, around a table playing a game. I was having a blast, and basically cutting up, cheering and teasing. I don't even remember what happened, but it wasn't in my favor and I yelled, "Oh, man!" Ben comes over to my table, gives me a stern look and says, "Mom. You're not being a good sport."

Ben and I made a "special dessert" for daddy tonight and through the whole process we were giggling about our "surprise" (or as Ben's says it grr-prise). I don't know why but Ben kept running over to Jason saying, "We're making you a surprise!" Jason, being a good sport, played along and kept trying to get it out of him what it was. One time when Ben ran into the living room, I heard him tell Jason, "Your surprise is all done! It's going to be great!" Jason said, "Is it chocolate pudding?" Ben said, "No! It's not." Then he runs-all five steps-into the kitchen and loudly says, "He guessed that it was chocolate pudding! How did he know?!" It took everything Jason had not to laugh! We managed to throw him off the scent though and convince him that the surprise was actually monkey biscuits and elephant cookies! Don't ask me what they are, I don't know!

Ben had a speech and hearing screening the other day and when they tested his ears they told me that he has some pressure in one of his ears. They were asking him questions about swimming to see if his ears pop in the water, so they said, "Ben, what happens to your ears when you swim at the pool?" Ben promptly said, "They get wet." The doctor just had to laugh at my bright boy! During the verbal part of the screening they had him repeat phrases. One of them was, "I go swimming as Jesse's house." Ben repeated it and then looked at the girl and said, "Who's Jesse?"

Andrew's new game is feigning sleep. I was hooking him into his car seat and as I'm putting his arm in the shoulder strap, he turned his head and closed his eyes. I made a big deal about Andrew falling "asleep". As soon as I said it, he popped his eyes open and giggled. Every time after that his eyes would flutter while they were shut because he was trying to "sleep" and watch me. This went on for a little while!

Andrew LOVES to jump in the pool. We put his little life vest on and he'll stand on the side and say Aahh! (one), Dahh! (two), Mahh! (three) and toss himself into the water, and my arms. Then he'll push off of me and struggle back to the side where he can do it again! and again!

Andrew had his first corn on the cob last week! Being raised in Nebraska, I know that this is a necessary rite of passage! I think he enjoyed it, but he didn't eat too much! Andrew also just recently graduated from the highchair to the booster seat. I think Jason thought I was going to sob, or hit him, when he suggested the transition! I don't think I was nearly as ready for it as Andrew was. It's hard seeing you last baby grow up and on to newer things. It's hard to see them leave one "baby phase" and move into another "toddler phase".

Andrew demolished a chocolate cupcake at a church potluck.

Veggin' out!

First corn on the cob!

Have a great week! We love you all!
Stephanie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How adoreable! There is only one thing wrong with your blog, I can't transfer the pictures to my computer for screen savers! My great grands greet me every time I come to the computer! Grandmab

Aunt Nelda said...

This is what summer is all about.......corn on the cob, splashing around in the water and oh yes, watermelon!! The stories are great and by the response of Ben to your excitement....you have trained him well. :) Andrew is really growing and changing, at least to us. I can understand your concern.....time is passing. Thanks for the stories.